Sunday, July 15, 2018

Letting Go

I have always been fast-paced. Go, go, go. I think I got it from my mama. Seriously...she is always going, never fully relaxing. I struggle with relaxing. I always feel like there is something to do...some place to go. Today I found myself saying, "Slow down. Enjoy your boy!"

Eli turned five this month. Five! Five years have sped by so quickly. There are days I am missing moments because I am too busy focusing on laundry and cleaning than spending precious moments with my baby boy  big boy.

This Sunday I sacrificed looking at email, Facebook, and Pinterest on my way to and from church and talked to my hubby and listened to my boy. Too often I am spending time on my phone and making lists of everything I need to do and trying to take care of it all.

Today I left the laundry. I left a pile on the couch, a dry load in the dryer, and one on auto-spin in the washer so I could sit in a Thomas tent with Eli, BatBot, and a book to read and play.

This afternoon I forgot about the paperwork that needed sorted and dishes that needed done and played on our hot deck. We switched back and forth being monsters and superheroes.

These moments were a break out of the norm, but a much needed break. My boy needed me and I needed him. He didn't have his questions go unanswered and we didn't miss out on valuable life lessons. In a few short weeks he will be in Kindergarten and the weekends go by way too fast. 

So, I decided to stop saying, "I can't. I'm too busy. I have to do..." Chores and being busy had power over my life and life choices, which affect my family. Some days chores and work will take precedence over tents and superheroes, but not today. Today was about my boy!

No comments: